To submit an article for publication to the journal, please email email@example.com.
To submit an article for the Grand Prix Essay Competition (held from September 9, 2017 to January 14, 2018), please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Articles must be unpublished, original work that relates medicine to the humanities and no more than 1,600 words in length. Each submission should include:
- A cover page with:
- Author(s) names, titles/degrees, professional affiliation, and location (as you would like it listed in the journal)
- A biography no longer than 100 words
- The author’s contact information
- Article text with:
- The title and page numbers in the document header
- The full text of the article in Times New Roman, size 12, and double-spaced. Please format in Chicago Manual of Style (www.chicagomanualofstyle.org) or AMA style (www.amamanualofstyle.com)
- References for quoted and cited material formatted according to the Chicago style or AMA Manual of Style, with the endnotes in numerical order.
Please save the submission as a Word document by the author’s last name followed by the title (or abbreviated title).
For the article “Big Hugh” by Dr. Smith, save as follows:
Articles may be accompanied by images. Rights to images must be acquired by the author prior to submission.
Images must be:
- High quality and saved as a .JPG
- Titled by author’s surname and short article name. For example, an image to accompany the article “Big Hugh” by Dr. Smith would be saved as follows:
- Smith_Big Hugh.jp
- Add a number at the end to distinguish additional image
- e.g., Smith_Big Hugh2.jpg
- Accompanied by a caption. Provide a Word document with the following information:
- Caption and source (including address of website where you found the image)
- For artwork, please provide the title and date of work, the artist’s name, and the location of the artwork (museum or private collection)
- Save the caption as a Word document by author last name. In the example of Dr. Smith, the illustration would be captioned as follows:
Be sure you have the rights to any images prior to including it with your submission.
Who should submit?
We welcome submissions from health professionals, students, and scholars of the humanities and social sciences. We also encourage patients to contribute pieces that reflect their experiences or perspectives on healing and health.
Where do we publish?
Accepted articles are first published in the various sections of Hektorama.
From time to time, published articles may be highlighted in Frontispiece, the traditional front page.
What do we publish?
Hektoen International accepts articles that explore medicine and the healing arts through the lens of the humanities, exploring such disciplines as art, education, ethics, history, literature, philosophy, and sociology.
Submissions may include:
We DO NOT accept clinical studies
Our confidentiality policy is based on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). Please refer to this document if you have any questions: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/. Authors/artists should protect the confidentiality of all persons and not reveal personal details without their consent.
The editorial board and the journal editors review contributions for appropriateness of originality, style, and content. All reviewers and editors advise the Editor-in-Chief, who makes the final decision on publication.
Authors retain the copyright to their submissions to Hektoen International. We request, however, that authors refrain from submitting their work for publication for four months after the piece has been published. Authors are requested to notify us and reference the Hektoen International website as the original publisher in subsequent publications of the article.
All submissions are presumed to be the stated author/artist’s original work. Authors are responsible for procuring the right to accompanying images.