|Tiny feet of newborn baby|
- Determination of specific traits to be screened and modified
- Strict regulation and enforcement to prevent rule breaches (involving non-medical or not-so-severe traits)
- Evaluation of the effect of socioeconomic background and geographical location on the need and accessibility of services. (For instance, getting rid of sickle cell trait in places where malaria is rampant may in fact be dangerous).
- Reducing possibility of off-target effects in germline modification
- Interests of parents in determining the traits of their children
- Ly, Sarah. 2011. Embryo Project Encyclopedia. March 31. Accessed January 29, 2017, https://embryo.asu.edu/pages/ethics-designer-babies.
- Stankovic, Bratislav. 2005. It’s a Designer Baby! – Opinions on Regulation of Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis. Rochester, New York, February 7.
- O’Connor, C. 2008. “Fluorescence in situ hybridisation.” Nature Education 1(1): 171.
- E.Hanna, Kathi. 2006. National Human Genome Research Institute. Accessed January 29, 2017. https://www.genome.gov/10004764/germline-gene-transfer/.
- Abraham, Carolyn. 2012. The Globe And Mail. January 7. Accessed January 29, 2017. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/parenting/pregnancy/pregnancy-trends/unnatural-selection-is-evolving-reproductive-technology-ushering-in-a-new-age-of-eugenics/article2294636/singlepage/.
- Alexander G., Kogan M., Martin J., Papiernik E. 1998. “What are the fetal growth patterns of singletons, twins, and triplets in the United States?” Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology 41(1) 114-125.
- Ishii, Tetsuya. n.d. “Germline genome-editing research and its socioethical implications.” Trends in Molecular Medicine. 21(8) 473-481.
- McCluskey, Leo, interview by Katherine Harmon. 2012. How Has Stephen Hawking lived to 70 with ALS? (January 7).
- Patrick, Skerrett. 2015. STATNEWS. November 17. Accessed January 29, 2017. https://www.statnews.com/2015/11/17/gene-editing-embryo-crispr/.
HANUSHA DURGANAUDU is a medical student from Selangor, Malaysia. Born in a family where ethics and philosophy are considered subjects of great importance and worthy of frequent discussions, Hanusha has developed great interest in the field and is an avid reader and thinker. During her free time, she prefers to read novels, especially medical thrillers and mysteries.