In the Australian state of New South Wales, a system of medical inspection of schoolchildren was organized in 1913 and arrangements were made to examine each child at least twice during their periods of school attendance, which was compulsory between the ages of seven and fourteen years. The inspections were conducted by a staff of medical officers, nurses, and dentists. Facilities for the treatment of ill children became available in hospitals, and there were also institutions for the treatment of chronic ailments and handicapped children. Baby clinics were established in 1914.
|Doctor seeing patients at the General Treatment Clinic for School Children, Sydney. 1914. Part of Series Photographs of the General Treatment Clinic for School Children, Sydney. State Archives and Records of New South Wales.|