FIRST SENTENCES OF GREAT CLASSICS
TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE!
- There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
- Now, what I want is Facts. Teach these boys and girls nothing but Facts.
- Mother died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; I can’t be sure.
- Mr. Jones, of the Manor farm, had locked the hen-houses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the pop-holes.
- In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains.
- The Mississippi is well worth reading about.
- It was five o’clock on a winter’s morning in Syria.
- In the days when the judges ruled there was a famine in the land.
- Under certain circumstances there are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.
- All happy families are like one another; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.