FIRST SENTENCES OF GREAT CLASSICS
TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE!
- Thirty years ago, Marseilles lay burning in the sun one day.
- The writer, an old man with a white mustache, had some difficulty in getting into bed.
- It was Wang Lung’s marriage day.
- I have often asked how it was, and through what series of steps, that I became an opium eater.
- This is the saddest story I ever heard.
- What made me take this trip to Africa? There is no quick explanation.
- It was in the month of May 1813 that I was so unlucky as to fall at last into the hands of the enemy.
- It was at four o’clock when the ceremony was over and the carriages began to arrive. There had been a crowd following all the way, owing to the exuberance of Marija Berczynskas.
- They order, said I, this matter better in France.
- Someone asked me why a surgeon would write. Why, when the shelves are already full.